Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Give Terry Gilliam Money!!!!


Terry Gilliam is one of the most visionary directors of our time. 12 Monkeys, Fear and Loathing, and Brazil were some of the more interesting and visually stunning movies ever on top of what Gilliam has done with Monty Python. Special mention to the heartwarming Fisher King

Hes had a few stinkers in the last couple years. The Don Quixote movie never took off but I don't blame him: the weather and health of his two main actors were neither on his side. The Brothers Grimm just plain sucked.

Now, he has Tideland. A really great looking film, although it got some pretty negative reviews from Toronto (i think that was the film festival). The movie itself was suffering distribution funds for awhile, and I have still yet to see it embarrassingly enough.

Now Gilliam is looking for money to make Good Omens, one of my favorite books. The plot alone I would think would attract a studio. Its both clever, interesting, and in line with the kind of stuff out lately (LOTR, comic book movies, Harry Potter, etc.). As far as I know, Gilliam has Johnny Depp and Robin Williams pinned for the main characters. Williams isn't the cash cow he used to be, but still considered one of the funnier comics in the biz, and Depp has always been a fan favorite amongst film buffs and general audience alike. So far, I see no real negative side.

Some time ago, he made a public statement that all he needed was $4 million to get it off the ground, which seems like peanuts by modern standards. Considering Gilliam is excellent with physical and prop effects, I would think that he could keep the cost relatively low, as long as he doesn't have the same luck he had on Don Quixote. And with bankable actors in tow, I think I'll just never understand the Hollywood machine, nor see one of my favorite books reach the silver screen. Woe is me.

No comments:

Post a Comment